Over the past several years, there has been growing recognition of the negative health effects black mold can have on people. Black mold grows in water-damaged homes and is often invisible, especially if it grows behind drywall or in the attic. Nevertheless, occupants can inhale the spores, causing serious illness.
If your home has black mold, you might need to submit an insurance claim to have the mold cleaned. But how do you know if you’ve been exposed to mold in the first place? Look for the following signs of illness and then hire someone to inspect your home.
You Develop Flu-Like Symptoms
Many people exposed to black mold will develop symptoms we normally associate with the flu, such as:
- Sore throat
- Runny nose
- Watery eyes
However, if you were exposed to black mold, then these symptoms probably do not clear up. Instead, they are chronic. If you think you have the flu but don’t improve in a couple of weeks, then you should consider whether you have been exposed to black mold. See a doctor to be checked out.
You Get a Sinus Infection
Black mold can irritate the lining of a person’s sinuses, leading to a sinus infection. Sinus infections might start out with cold-like symptoms but usually are more painful around the sinus area. A sinus infection should clear up in a few weeks to a month. If it doesn’t, then mold might be to blame.
You Develop Breathing Problems
Black mold can affect the lungs, leading to difficulty breathing. One immune response can cause “farmer’s lung,” which is the name for inflammation of the lung tissue. Allergic aspergillosis is another rare lung tissue inflammation that involves both the tissues in the lungs and the airways.
If you or a child suddenly develops difficulty breathing, then you might have black mold in the home. You should go to a doctor to discuss your concerns.
You Experience a Change in Mood
Less common symptoms of black mold exposure include:
- General malaise
Admittedly, there are many reasons someone might begin feeling depressed. But if you experience mood changes along with some of the other symptoms listed above, you should certainly go to a doctor to be tested.
Speak to an Experienced Austin Attorney
If you are being made ill through exposure to mold, then you need to have it removed as soon as possible. Renters should immediately contact their landlords and notify them of the problem, whereas homeowners should contract to have someone come and remove the mold.
At DC Law, we have helped renters and workers hold a landlord responsible for failure to remediate a black mod issue. Landlords in particular are often hesitant to shoulder the expense of removing mold and often need a lawsuit to prod them into action.