Car accidents change lives. Even if the accident is relatively “minor,” chances are good that you incurred serious medical bills and property damage related to the crash. Many people are unsure of what steps to take after a crash, but they know they need compensation to move forward with their lives.
At DC Law, we have helped injured motorists in Austin for years. We know how to identify when a client has a solid claim for compensation, and we know how to pull together the evidence necessary to support a claim. Even better, we offer a free consultation to those who want to know more.
What is the Purpose of the Consultation?
Car accidents are complicated events, but the rule regarding compensation is simple. You can sue someone if their negligence contributed to your accident. The most obvious example is someone running a red light because they were distracted and hitting you in the process.
Whether you have a claim depends on unpacking what happened in the moments leading up to the crash. If a driver isn’t at fault for the collision, then you can’t sue them. In a consultation, an attorney will listen to you explain what happened. Then he or she can offer advice about whether you have a valid claim.
Why Do I Need a Lawyer?
Some people want to handle their claims themselves. They think they can fill out some forms and then submit them to an insurance adjuster.
However, our lawyers can help in many ways:
- We can identify the evidence you need to establish fault. Don’t be surprised if the other driver’s insurer denies that their insured is at fault for the collision. Some might even try to put the responsibility on your shoulders!
- We can handle communications with the insurance company. There is no reason for you to give a recorded statement on your own. Have a lawyer help make sure you don’t say something you don’t mean.
- We can negotiate a favorable settlement. Don’t expect an insurance company to make a fair offer right out of the gate. Instead, they tend to offer only peanuts, at least initially.
How Do I Prepare for a Free Consultation?
Your Austin car accident attorney will better serve you if you come to the consultation prepared. You should pull together the following to show us:
- A copy of the police report
- Copies of medical bills and other expenses
- Pictures of the damage to your vehicle or the accident scene after the crash
- The other driver’s insurance information
- Your own insurance information
- The names and contact information for any witnesses to the accident
You should also think of any questions you would like answered. We can discuss how we communicate with clients and our fee arrangement.
If you have been involved in a crash, don’t delay. Texas only gives you two years to start a lawsuit, and the sooner we get started on your case the better.
Contact DC Law Today